Velscope Oral Cancer screening
Two Minute Exam That Can Save Your LIfe
What is Velscope?
The VELscope® Vx system is an adjunctive device which means it must be used together with and as a supplement to the traditional intra and extraoral head and neck exam. Unlike other adjunctive devices used for oral examinations, the VELscope® Vx does not require any dyes or prolonged testing procedures. In fact, a VELscope® Vx exam can be performed in the dentist's office during a routine hygiene exam in about two minutes.
How does VELscope work?
- VELscope emits a blue light that causes molecules deep in your oral tissue to react with a light of their own in shades of yellow, green and red.
- Using a filter to block out the reflected blue light, the VELscope can then enhance the contrast between normal and abnormal tissue.
- This procedure is used during regular oral exams and only takes around one to two minutes.
- The process is completely non-invasive and doesn’t use any rinses or dyes.
The Importance of VELscope
- Around 36,000 Americans are diagnosed with oral cancer each year, and close to 8,000 of them don’t survive. The best way to treat and prevent the spread of oral cancer is early detection. This is why the VELscope system could be life saving. In less than two minutes, a complete oral scan can be completed, allowing dentists to discover any signs of trouble.
- VELscope is also useful in detecting other oral problems that can make chewing, talking, swallowing and sleeping problematic. These issues can be avoided when found and treated early.